Saturday, February 24, 2007

Spinning!

I went to my first spinning night on Friday! It was at Cloverhill yarn shop in Catonsville. I have always loved this shop for it's yarn and pleasant helpful staff and now I have one more reason to love it. Their spinning night was so much fun! I'm a newbie drop spindler and wanted to get more experience. I was commenting on this fact to Laura and Amie when they suggested I join them on their monthly spinning group. Spinning group?! I was so there. Sarah came too and I'm glad - 'cause we learned together and I also I knew I wouldn't be the only drop spindler there!

As it turns out there were two other drop spindlers there as well. Jen and another gal... (who's name I already forget). There of course were many other spinners there with actual wheels. And I got to try one! Yeah! Amie was kind enough to let Sarah and I have a go with her Lendrum. It was harder than I expected to get the wheel going at all and I also had trouble getting it to "eat the yarn" fast enough (sorry for the nontechnical terms in advance!). I also overspun and broke the yarn several times. But I did get a bit of a knack for it... kind of...eventually... maybe?

Sarah did MUCH better than I did and I don't think she broke the yarn once! Go Sarah!

Here are some of the gals at work:







I soon went back to my dropping - I mean drop spindling and spun enough single ply - that I wanted to give plying a try. In the end - I ended up with a good amount of yarn. I am quite happy with the result. I used some of the roving I dyed at Mama-E's dye class.

Sarah made the most awesome gift too - A spindle bag holder! I love it! Thanks Sarah!!




After spinning - Sarah and I had a delicious meal at Mango Grove... did you know they serve meat now too?

Anyway - after that I came home and gave my new yarn a bath -




and then hung it up to dry.



I don't know what I'll make with it yet - but I do love it




10 comments:

Knittymama said...

So pretty!

laura said...

It looks great! :)

chacha / Jen said...

Excellent! It looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the look of the finished product. Go Jody. You made real yarn!! I came home and spun a bit more on Saturday. I then came to the realization that is going to take approximately 1 million years for me to drop spindle enough yarn to knit a pair of socks! So I guess we have to go back to spinning group next month!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Your yarn is so pretty. Good job.
Remind me when the next spin group is, I would love to join the drop spindle group.
Jolene

Jinann said...

You go girl! Welcome to the wonderful world of spinning! (Now you'll have even MORE to shop for at Maryland Sheep and Wool! LOL!)

Nic said...

Pretty colors. I have a few hanks that size that I have no idea what I am going to do with.

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful. It'd make a great accent on something.

Amy said...

That is wonderful Jody! I love your yarn and whatever you make will be beautiful

Amie said...

Yay! (her name was Erin, btw)

You'll have to play with other wheels, too. I didn't do my normal teaching stuff, but anytime you want an actual lesson Fiona (the wheel) and I will happily come play.