Monday, February 12, 2007

Happy Birthday Abe!

Today is Abraham Lincoln's birthday! I enjoy a bit of trivia now and then and since today is Lincoln's birthday - here are some random facts about him that I found interesting:


Eye color - Gray
Height - Six feet and four inches (my hubby's height)
Weight- 180 pounds (skinny!)
Shoe size - 14 (Wow!!)
Name of pet dog - Fido (How generic! I wonder if this is where the "genericness" came from)

I also found a really cool site that has famous quotes. I always knew Lincoln was smart. Here are some of my favorites...

"A woman is the only thing I am afraid of that I know will not hurt me."

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."

"Avoid popularity if you would have peace" (I guess I was wise beyond my years in high school - and more peaceful!!)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." (more people should remember this one!)

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them."

"If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?"

"Marriage is neither heaven nor hell, it is simply purgatory"

"The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time."

"Whatever you are, be a good one."

"Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally."

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."

"You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was."

And for those of you with kids (or those of you who just like to color) - here's a handy dandy picture of good ole Abe to print out and color :)


And if you're bored - here are Abe Lincoln related crafts I found:

1. Use thickened frosting or glue and pretzel sticks to make log cabins. You can also use graham crackers.
2. Make penny rubbings by putting a coin under a sheet of thin paper and rubbing it with the side of a crayon or pencil lead
3. Make a top hat

Happy Birthday Abe!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool quotes.
thanks for the fun facts!

knitfriendly said...

I learn something new everyday. Thanks for all of the great quotes! :)

Amie said...

Yay! I love Abe!

Nic said...

You love Lincoln... I mean LOVE LOVE him.. Jody and Abe sitting in a tree...