I whipped up a few baby onsies for my friend Lisa's baby shower this weekend...
There were definitely a hit! I highly recommend making these for a quick and inexpensive handmade gift!
All you need is:
- Cute baby appropriate fabric
- Iron-on tear away stabalizer like Pellon Wonder Under Fusible Web
1. Cut out your fabric
2. Cut out your stabilizer to the same shape as your fabric. I usually cut this a bit smaller than the fabric - otherwise the sticky stuff will get on your iron... ask me how I know this :)
3. With the paper side of stabilizer down and fusible side up - place your fabric face up and iron them together.
4. Peel off the paper backing - leaving the sticky fusible part attached to your fabric.
5. Place the fabric with the sticky stablizer on the onsie and iron it down. This helps keep the fabric from shifting when you sew on the decorative border.
6. Pick a complimentory thread, and using a zigzag stitch, sew around the border of the fabric. Make sure you catch at least one side of the zigzag stitch in the fabric. Be careful to sew only on the front of the onsie! (It's easy to accidentally catch the other side!)
7. Once you make it all the way around, backstitch for a few stitches to secure and then trim the excess thread on the inside and outside of the onsie.
And you're done!
I'm sure a baby near you will love their new outfit!!