Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Free Pattern - Cha Cha Cowl

As you read in yesterday's post - I recently took part in a Handmade Holiday Swap with some friends. My person to knit for was my friend Jen - AKA ChaCha. I knew I wanted to knit her a cowl and decided to try designing my own. I found this cool barred knitting technique in a Barbara Walker book and took it from there.

I used the barred technique to create a kind of swirl pattern. The name was obvious - I had to name it after the recipient - and it became the Cha Cha Cowl.

I hope you enjoy knitting it as much as I did - I have already knit three of them!

Dec 08 165


Stats:
Pattern:
Cha Cha Cowl by Jody Scofield
Yarn: Valley Yarns Coltrain - about 100 yards
Needles: Size 7 Addi Turbos

Ravelry users - download pattern here

Non Ravelry Users - download pattern here



My lovely friend Coleen is modeling the cowl here - isn't she cute :)

Dec 08 122


Dec 08 144

Sarah's sister Jen is modeling yet another version of the Cha Cha cowl. This time it was knit with a bulky weight yarn. I cast on only 84 stitches for this one instead of 102 for the worsted weight cowl. As long as you use a multiple of 6 - you can adjust the size as needed.

Dec 08 126

This cowl is knit using Wool in the Woods Sophie - unfortunatley this yarn is discontinued, but it's very similar in weight to Malabrigo or Manos. I knit it on size 9's instead of 7's

Dec 08 171


Dec 08 173

I also knit one with sock yarn held double. It's going to be a Christmas gift though - so no pictures yet! But I can say it looks really cool! I used a skein of Socks that Rock Lightweight and had just enough in one skein to knit the cowl.

I hope you like the new pattern!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it!
Cant wait to knit one for myself!

Rachel said...

Hi there--been reading and enjoying your blog for awhile now but am horrible at commenting. But saw your new design and simply had to stop by to comment how much I like it. It's beautiful...I'll be adding this to my queue for after the holidays!

calicodaisy said...

It's beautiful! Do you think a newbie can manage it? Well, I'm not SO new at K and P but have never really attempted a design before. -- Michele

Dana S. Whitney said...

NIFTY!

Stacey said...

I am SO making one of those! I love the texture of the stitch pattern!!!

Stitchify said...

Beeeeeutiful!

Knittymama said...

Like I'm not already cowl obsessed enough, you have to go and release another lovely cowl pattern into the universe. Thank you!

Julie said...

I love it, what a great pattern. I love the pin also!

chacha / Jen said...

love love love love!

Of course, I may be a bit biased. :D