Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Rhinebeck Rocks!

Last weekend was Rhinebeck! It was the first year that I actually got to go! Jolene, Larissa and Jackie and I headed up for the festivities.

Now don't get me wrong - I love the Maryland Sheep and Wool festival - but this place was magical. Just look at the setting!


Rhinebeck scenes

The leaves were all changing to golden, orangey, and red balls of fire. It was just amazing.

Once we got over our initial awe and wonder of the place - we soon fell into the rhythm of the festival. Barns and tents of fiber and yarn were everywhere! I did buy some stuff, but I managed to be somewhat restrained... I think! More on what I got in a later post.

Meeting people was definitely the best part of this trip! We went to both Ravelry meetups during the day and also ran into people just walking around the festival. It was a great chance to meet some of the people face to face that I only know from blogland!

Friends - old and new!

I was especially excited to see the awesome sweaters and knitwear on parade around the grounds. There were some amazing things! Click on the mosaic above to get some closer views of the sweaters!


Then there was the sheep and alpaca and llamas!! I love those wooly guys!

Sheep and llama and aplacas!

One of the missions for the trip was to get some fleeces for Cloverhill. We bought a variety of beauties and then took them to get processed at Zeilinger's.

Fleece!!!


On Sunday - we went to the authors tent to buy some books. I got the new Mason Dixon book! Here's the lovely Ann and Kay - with a bonus Amy!

Ann Kay and Amy

I also got the new Yarn Harlot book, but even before we saw her at the book signing - we ran into her in the festival. Everyone knows Stephanie loves babies and she remembered Joe from the book signing we went to this summer!

Stephanie

Besides yarn and fiber...
Oct 08 769

there was an assortment of felted cuties like these Gnomies...

Gnomies

and there was food! Fresh Apples and sheep cheese and local wine were everywhere!

Apples

Can you believe there were still flowers in bloom everywhere too!

Rhinebeck

Rhinebeck

Rhinebeck

A big thank you needs to go out to my girls Larissa and Jolene and Jackie for an awesome weekend! (Jackie didn't join us the second day - so she missed out on these photos)

My girls

And we can't forget Joey!

Ravelry Meetup

More pictures and stories coming soon - I'll show you the gorgeous Vanderbilt Mansion that we stopped at... stay tuned!

21 comments:

Michelle said...

I looked EVERYWHERE for you guys on sunday...I am really sad we didn't get to hang out

bySarah said...

Did you bring sheep cheese home for John?

Mia said...

I am going to make it up there one day. I have heard it is what MDS&W used to be years ago. So what sort of goodies did you bring home for you?

Theresa said...

looks like a fun weekend! Love the pretty tree pictures.

mrspao said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time. The autumn colours are incredible.

cici said...

great wrap up! Love the fall leaves. I hope to make it there next year.

calicodaisy said...

Wow! You've had a beautiful fall up there. The colors and your photos have been so pretty.

maitai said...

this looks beyond amazing. i'm sorry i missed it! maybe next year...i'm so obsessed with those gnomes!

turtlegirl76 said...

Awesome pictures! You always capture the essence of an event so well with your pics. =)

Anonymous said...

It was so fun to meet you and I too loved seeing all the wonderful things people were wearing. I'm so inspired and can't wait until next year. Love all your pics next year I need to keep my camera more handy.

Unknown said...

Didn't realize you were going as well. My first Rhinebeck also. It was totally awesome. It's great to be in NY state at that time of year. I miss it a lot. Loved the food "tent". I wish I had taken time to wait in line and eat through all of the various food vendors.

brsmaryland said...

I've been waiting for this post ;-)
Great photos, as always. The colors are amazing. What fun to have a fiber festival in the fall when everyone can wear their handknits. Looks like you all had a great time. I'll make it there some day.

Anonymous said...

only a little envious... looks like you had a blast! Maybe I'll make it next year :)

Trillian42 said...

Gah. We missed it this year, but it looks like you had a blast.

And Joe is getting BIG!!!

Sereknitty said...

Fabulous photos! I truly felt I was there with you. Looks like a fun time was had by all!

Stacey said...

what a fun time!!!! one of these years i'll have to go - its only a few hours from my house! (maybe next year!)

Ruth's Place said...

Looks like a fabulous weekend. Joey is such a cutie!!

You know we really want to see your Rhinebeck haul...

Unknown said...

Whoa, long post but GREAT pictures!

I like the blanket (?) in that photo of Ann and Kay. I saw something exactly like that in an old German knitting book. Looks beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a blast! I'm so jealous!

Anonymous said...

Again, WOW!
Looks like a great time! I can't wait to see what you guys got!! OH those gnomies!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you get them for me? I've been really good!

Anonymous said...

Oh hey we were standing right by you at the Saturday noon meetup, I remember watching your baby, he was just so cute and happy! I'm just finally going through the Rhinebeck blogs on Ravelry, I thought it would be a nice way to stretch out the experience some more :-)