Monday, March 12, 2007

Monkey business...

It was a beautiful weekend - the weather was warm and on Saturday I was sweating it out helping my sister and brother in law pack and move.

I did find some time to finish up my Monkey socks though! I think I may have a new favorite sock!



And - as an added bonus - they are another finished object using my hand dyed yarn!

I had some trouble naming this colorway. I asked around and everyone said it reminded them of flowers... so I ended up naming it "English Garden".

It definitely reminds me of the plentiful rose gardens in England - full of the rich vibrant pinks, yellows and oranges of the roses set against the green of the leaves and grass.

I also thought it would be kind of funny to imagine a Monkey loose in one of those formal English gardens!

Anyway - Here they are - my Monkey Socks in the English Garden colorway:





Yarn: Knit Picks fingering weight with my hand dyed coloring
Needles: size 2 DPNs.
Alterations to pattern: I did one less repeat of the pattern in the leg.
Pattern: Monkey from Knitty.com by Cookie A.

Even though the lace pattern has 11 lines in the chart - it is fairly easy to memorize. By the time I got to the second sock - I didn't have to look anymore :)

I love how the colors striped in this sock:





Unfortunately I was quite as lucky with the second - the colors didn't stripe in the same way - but I guess that's what makes them art... each one is unique!



I also got some sewing done this weekend...

Yes! More mini wallets! I love these. They are so quick and easy and I get a chance to use some cool fabrics I've had in my stash for a while. The pattern is based on this one from Splityarn - but I've played around with the sizes.



Mini Wallets

Check out some of the cool fabrics I got to use!








PS - I also would like to congratulate Eunny - she is the new Editor of Interweave Knits! Eunny - it's been a real pleasure getting to know you - you are such an impressive knitter, and designer and also a truly nice person. I am honored to know you and count you as a friend :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Love LOVE your monkey socks. No one else will be able to make a pair as nice, since they dont have your fantastic handdyed! If they go missing, dont come looking at my house. (Not cause I dont have them, just cause they will be well hidden.)

Adorable mini wallets. I love every single one of your fabric choices!! Are you using the zipper foot to do the close to the edge top-stitching?

Anonymous said...

Your fabric choices make my heart go pitter-patter!! Can I ask where you bought them?? Love them!!

Anonymous said...

Oh I love the skull fabric! heart heart heart!!

What a beautiful job you did on the dyeing...so pretty.

Anonymous said...

The monkey socks are fabulous! And I love the fabric you're using in the mini wallets

Amie said...

Thank you for my mini-wallet! I'm going through my purse today to see which little dohickeys need to live in it!

And if you like the CO I taught you, I fully expect a blog post extolling the glory that is me. ;P

Theresa said...

You've been busy! I love the colors in your monkey socks. So pretty.

Ramona said...

Gorgeous Monkeys! I love that pattern.

Anonymous said...

I need the skull wallet!