Monday, March 19, 2007

Mmmm Bread.....

I was busy this weekend...

I decided to make my own bread. It all started on Friday night. I whipped up the dough and set it aside to rest and rise... It rested all night and part of the morning on Saturday - and then after a few more steps and a few more naps - it was ready for baking.

I am very proud to present - my first homemade bread!




Isn't it gorgeous!





It was tasty too - fresh and hot out of the oven - we ate it with butter and honey. Wow - I felt like I had died and gone to bread heaven!

Later we made bird's nests with it - oh so good!





and of course - we ate it with every meal!





(It was especially good with my last bottle of V Sattui Family Red - yum!)





Lately - I have been inspired by the amazing baking of my friend Jen and I couldn't resist trying to bake some bread for myself.

I was a little nervous about making this particular bread - it's the No Knead Bread recipe that has been sweeping the internet lately - because I didn't have a large covered pot to cook it in. So - I improvised....

I used my pizza stone and covered it with a large ceramic bowl (I made sure it was oven safe first!) This provided the natural steamy environment that the bread needed.





It worked like a charm and the bread come out looking just fabulous. I was so happy with the results - I immediately ran out to the bookstore to get a Bread book I have been eyeing...





So what's next? Bagels, Ciabatta, Naan, sourdough - you name it - I'm going to try them all! I'm addicted!

15 comments:

Good Kharma Bunny said...

ooohhh looks delish
well done!
al x

Anonymous said...

It sure was VERY yummy!
Jolene

Large Marge said...

Yum!!!
now i have to go bake a loaf.
gee thanks!

Heidi said...

Goodness, gracious is there anything your NOT good at! Keep up the good work :)

Amie said...

Bread party at Jody's!!! Sign me up!

Anonymous said...

mmmmm, tht birds nest looks particularly delicious.

chacha / Jen said...

It looks great! I find baking to be very relaxing, and I LOVE having the smell of fresh-baked bread wafting through the apartment -- I'm so glad you're enjoying it as well!

Anonymous said...

mmm my mouth is watering!!

Diane said...

Wooo girl, your talents never end. Bread baking? Can't wait to see what you bake next.

Jinann said...

Ohhhhhh does that look delicious! I can almost smell it! Mmmmmmmmm!

Ramona said...

Using that No Knead recipe was the first time I was actually successful in making a nice loaf of bread.

Anonymous said...

The bread looks great. However, Kathy won't let me eat it. It looks so good I doubt it is on the south beach diet! Eat some for me!
Kathleen

Shelby said...

Wow does that look good! Now I'm hungry! ;)

Anonymous said...

It looks wonderful. Congratulations on a spectacular looking first loaf.

Byronicwoman said...

welcome to the cult of homemade bread. you'll never look back!