Thursday, September 17, 2009

Spinning!

I've been spinning a lot lately but I don't have too much to show for it! The reason I guess is that I've been obsessed with spinning the finest yarn possible!

Here are my latest two skeins:

Navajo-ply Handspun

The blue is roving dyed by Jolene. I spun it into extra fine singles and then Navajo plied them. My friend Larissa has been telling me about how she has been trying to acheive 400 yards of three ply out of 4 oz. It's her holy grail in spinning. She always came close but never quite got to 400. I thought - hey! I'll give it a try! Um... Larissa don't hate me - but I got 528 yards of three ply out this baby! It is a very light fingering - and will make wonderful socks. I love the subtle variation of blues greens and teals that this yarn ended up with.

Navajo-ply Handspun


The orange/yellow one is about 450 yards of 2 ply spun from a Grafton Fiber batt. I may not have initially gone for the batt myself because unspun it looked mostly yellow, and I'm not a huge yellow fan, but when I saw a fellow spinner's results at my Spinning group at Cloverhill I couldn't resist. It's like liquid gold! I love it.

Grafton Fibers Handspun

I am not quite sure what it will become - maybe socks or maybe a scarf. I have my eye on this lovely scarf from the latest knitty patterns.


The color is almost identical and I immediately thought of my handspun when I saw the scarf on knitty.com. Any other ideas?

10 comments:

Trillian42 said...

Holy crap, girl - that's some seriously impressive spinning! I can't seem to manage anything thinner than a light worsted. Clearly I need to sit at your feet and learn from a master!

Gorgeous stuff, and I think that would make a fantastic Kernel scarf.

Monika said...

I love both skeins very much. I usually love orange above all, and green, but your blue skein is breathtaking!

Lyn said...

They're both so beautiful, though I'm partial to the blue skein. You are such a talented spinner!

Shelby said...

They are just gorgeous! I love the blues/teals, so pretty!! I can't wait to see what you knit up with them.

Anonymous said...

gorgeous!!!

chacha / Jen said...

Gorgeous stuff! That orange skein screams "AUTUMN!"

turtlegirl76 said...

Holy crap girl. That is amazing!

gnomegarden said...

WOW Jodi, you rock!!! That is really beautiful, that blue.

Emily said...

Wow - so many talents! That yarn is unbelievable...

Ruth's Place said...

Gorgeous spinning, I LOVE those blues.