Friday, January 18, 2008

A is for...

Art!

One of my goals for 2008 is to do more art.

I used to draw and paint all the time when I was younger. Knitting and sewing have taken up a great deal of my life, but I still need to stop and remember my painting and drawing.

My mom got me a watercolor a day calendar for Christmas. At first I thought it was kind of corny - but we painted a few together and I really like how they came out.

Watercolors

The kit has a differnet watercolor every day. Some are famous paintings, while others are original drawings for the calendar. Each page is basically a rough line drawing of the image. The kit also comes with 5 watercolors (blue, yellow, red, green and black) with which to paint.

It was challenging to get the right color at times and I found myself thinking back to my elementary school color wheel to help me mix the paints to get the right colors!

Here's a closer look are two of my favorites:
Watercolors

Watercolors

The calendar also shows a sample completed work photo for ideas on what colors to use etc.

Watercolors

As you can see I paid no attention to the date - just picked the images I liked best. I look forward to more painting and drawing this year. I bought some quality ink pens while I was in Philly a few weeks ago - and I can't wait to try an ink and watercolor project I have in mind. Stay tuned!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love watercolors, and yours look beautiful...come visit. Bring watercolors for the guest room. Target colors for this room are blues and almonds, so anything will match.

Nic said...

Is there anything you can't do?

Seriously.

ANYTHING???

Anonymous said...

Lovely! I really do like how they turned out (especially the flower one_

DPUTiger said...

I'm always a little envious of people who can draw/paint. I can do lots of creative stuff, but I can barely draw a stick figure! :) Everything looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

Your such a lucky duck, obviously you have the coolest mom EVER. That and I have to agree with Polly, is there anything you can't do?

Stacey said...

beautiful. watercolors have to be one of my favorite painting mediums for the way they melt and flow together. I love the one that looks to be a field of flowers....so pretty! you talent!!!