Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Denyse Schmidt quilting

I recently purchased an amazing book by Denyse Schmidt called Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects



It has so many wonderful quilting projects inside. I made one last week and I love it!! I made the Mix-It-Up Cocktail Coasters.

Quilted Coasters

It was so easy and fun to mix and match and colors.

Quilted Coasters

Quilted Coasters

I chose six different fabrics for the front - layered them and cut the pieces at random widths. I then sandwiched some quilt batting inside and used a solid color print for the back. A few quick steps later and I had these gorgeous coasters!

Quilted Coasters

The quilting process just makes them look so professional. I can see myself making lots of these - perfect christmas gifts!!

Quilted Coasters

This book has lots of other little projects in addition to some really gorgeous modern quilts. I highly recommend it if you are thinking about getting into quilting! These coaster were a great little project and don't require the commitment that a full quilt does.

Happy sewing!

15 comments:

Shelby said...

pretty!! I love the colors you chose. And that's a great way to use up scraps too!

Anonymous said...

Those are great! I will have to try to make some.
Jolene

allie said...

Gorgeous! What a great idea to make those as Christmas gifts, they's be so quick!!

Anonymous said...

So cool.
I can't wait to show you the "batting" I got us for quilting potholders!

Stacey said...

very cute - what a great way to use up scraps!

Heidi said...

Excellent, if your looking for a home your all these "Christmas" gifts may I suggest the Big Apple.

Zonda said...

Those are cool! Great way to use up fabric scraps too! I've gotta get that book!

Amy said...

Those look so lovely!

Mary Emma Allen said...

I purchased some stationery recently and discovered the designs were done by Denyse. Lovely.

Jinann said...

Those coasters are wonderful! You did a fantastic job. They really do look professional!

Anonymous said...

Those are so cute! What a great idea.

Mister John said...

Cough is worse today. Lonely. I may die all alone. Who will care for the dogs? This sux0rs bi5 tym3.

Theresa said...

I love her book - I read it all the time, but the only thing I've made so far is Steve the Cat. You did a fantastic job on the coasters - I'm inspired. Time to try some for myself!

Theresa said...

So fun!

Ellie said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE these and I am going to make them. I am new to quilting... does the batting go all the way to the edge? Help!