Thursday, December 17, 2009

Monkey Business

When I was a little girl, my grandmother made me a sock monkey. I'm sure many of you also had a sock monkey as a kid! He was my favorite toy - I slept with him every night. I kept him with me through many moves after I left home - he was a constant reminder of my childhood. Of course he moved with me to our latest home. He never made it out of a box unfortunately and as some of you may know - we had a fire in our house after a nearby tree was struck by lightening. This was just about 4 years ago now. Although there wasn't too much damaged by the actual fire - there was a great deal damaged by the water the firemen used to put out the flames. My sock monkey and most of my childhood memories were destroyed by the water. I was crushed!

By far the worste loss was my sock monkey. I swore I'd make myself a new one.

Well - I had the opportunity last weekend. John, our cousin William and I went to the American Visionary Arts Museum to make sock monkeys!

They were offering a free class and all you had to bring was your own pair of socks. We arrived to find a HUGE room of tables and supplies.

Sock Monkey making

Each table had an array of embroidery floss, yarn and buttons to add to your monkey...

Sock Monkey making

There were plenty of "Monkey helpers" around to help us on our way. Here's a step by step look at my monkey creation!

First I split the sock to form the legs and added stuffing to the body.

Sock Monkey making


Next I added the tail...

Sock Monkey making

On went his eyes...

Sock Monkey making

and mouth...

Sock Monkey making

I love his crooked smirk!

Next I added his arms...

Sock Monkey making

At this point - we'd been at it for about 4 hours and sock monkey class was over... It took a surprisingly long time to hand sew these monkeys!!

John and Williams had fun too.

Here's William stitching up his awesome monkey!

Sock Monkey making

And here's John working on his:

Sock Monkey making

We didn't all finish our monkeys - but they still looked pretty cool sitting in a row!

Sock Monkey making

I walked around when I was done and snapped a few pics of the other monkeys around - what a variety of awesomeness!

Sock Monkey Mosiac

After we came out - we put the finishing touches on our monkeys and here they are - ready for snuggling!


Sock Monkeys!

Have a monkey of a good week!

Sock Monkeys!


Sock Monkey!

5 comments:

Sereknitty said...

What fun! Everyone was so innovative with their style of monkey -- so creative!

bySarah said...

AWESOME!!
That is a LOT of monkeys!

Anonymous said...

That is by far one of the coolest workshops I've ever heard of and if they come to California I'm totally going! How cool is that! I absolutely love your monkiness!

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

Gosh, those are the cutest sock monkeys I've ever seen....now I want one, too. :)

mrspao said...

So cute. I love seeing the others too.