Monday, June 16, 2008

Mannings weekend and Adamas modeled!

I finally got some shots of Adamas! I really love the simplicity and beauty of this pattern. It worked very well as a single skein knit!

Adamas Shawl

Stats:
Pattern
: Adamas by Miriam L. Felton
Yarn: Colinette Jitterbug
Needles: Size 9 Addi Lace
Mods: Since I knit this with only about 320 yards - I only did 9 repeats of the middle chart instead of 14 and then only had enough yarn for the last row of the third chart.

Adamas Shawl

Adamas Shawl

I wore it this weekend to the Mannings too! It was their 40th annual Spinning Seminar and Coleen, Jen and I went up for a visit!

It's so beautiful there. Don't you just want to go running through this field!

Adamas Shawl

The Mannings is a magical place. If you've never gone - I highly recommend a day trip! They have everything a knitter, spinner or weaver could ever want! You can easily get lost in their store amid the spinning wheels, looms and row after row of yarn.

This weekend was especially fun because of all the things to do! There were of course sheep and other animals around - The little guy in the picture below actually got a piece of my finger!

The Mannings

1. The Mannings, 2. This guy bit me!, 3. Ouch!!, 4. Bah!

In addition to the sheep, goats and rabbits, there were many demonstrations to watch.

Norm Hall was there with his gorgeous wheels, there was a needle felting demonstration, a mushroom dyeing demonstration and a flax prep and spinning demonstration.

Events at the Mannings

1. Norm Hall, 2. Needle Felting, 3. Mushroom dying, 4. Spinning Flax...

My favorite thing though was making my own batt! Here I am on the drum carder turning and turning the handle as I feed in wool, sparkles and other bits!

Creating my batt

We all made a batt and each of ours was very different!

Batts!

1. Jen's batt, 2. My batt, 3. My batt spun up, 4. Coleen's batt

It was so much fun to play with the colors! Now I know why Stephanie loves it :)
After we made out batts - we all immediately spun them up. Coleen did an awesome job - it was her first time on a spinning wheel and she did great!!

Coleen Spins!

The setting couldn't be better - there's a river on one side - fields on the other and this gorgeous barn in the middle.

I love this old barn! It's a beautiful shade of red (and inside - the church ladies were selling yummy pie and home made rootbeer!)

Barn

Did you ever notice - that the support columns are just kind of sitting atop some bricks!!

Barn

Yikes!

Next to the barn is a glorious magnolia tree with huge dinner plate sized blossoms. The colors are perfect for Project Spectrum!

Magnolia


There was one point where we were all just sitting and knitting quietly and I looked up and saw Jen in the perfect light. Isn't she a beauty!

Jen

Thanks girls for an awesome day!

The Mannings

8 comments:

Stacey said...

it is beautiful....a perfect setting for the photo shoot! I have to get out there one of these trips down - it looks like so much fun!

turtlegirl76 said...

What a great day! Love all the batts. And Adamas looks gorgeous modeled!

maitai said...

wow, it looks like you had a great weekend! i totally love that red barn.
as for your shawl? beautiful. even with five fewer repeats, i think it's a great size!

bySarah said...

Your shawl is beautiful, as are your photos. I love the mannings...your batts are so cool! So, did you try any new wheels? Do you want another one now??

Chris said...

Looks like you had a great time. Love the shawl!

Pheelya said...

The shawl is gorgeous!! It looks like you guys had a lot of fun at Mannings!

Sorry I missed knitting tonight. My current principal is apparently going to be a true bitch to the very last day. I was not in a very good mood to be around others, but at least Friday it will all be officially over and I won't have to deal with her any more! AMEN

gnomegarden said...

What awesome photos-- you are such a good photographer Jodie. Mannings looks wonderful. I want to go next time!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love the shawl, Jody!

Love the barn, too. Great red. And looks like you had a wonderful time!

- MJ