Monday, June 11, 2007

The Mannings

I went to the Mannings this weekend with Sarah, Coleen,Amie, Jolene and Cheryl. We had the best time!

We caravaned up to PA on Saturday morning after a yummy Panera breakfast. When we arrived - the festival was already in full swing.

The Mannings

There were stands with alpacas and llamas and sheep waiting to be sheared.

Aren't the alpacas cute! They were making a cute sound that was a cross between a baa and a moo.

The Mannings

Once we got over oogling the HUGE amounts of yarn in the shop

The Mannings

I headed over the spinning room. There were many many wheels there and of course - I tried them all.

Here's Amie spinning on one of my favorites - The Kromski Symphony.

The Mannings

No - I didn't come with a wheel. I thought about it.... but I think I still like the Majacraft that I tried at Nicol's better.

In another room - there were looms. Big looms, and small looms, everywhere!

The Mannings
The Mannings

In the loom rooms - there were also several other demostrations going on. One stand had all kinds of needle felting techniques. I thought this idea of using a cookie cutter to determine the shape was brillant.

The Mannings

Outside they had several stands set up demonstrating dying and spinning and this one on spinning flax into Gold! (Well - gold colored yarn...)

This guy is demonstrating how the flax is combed before the spinning process can begin.

The Mannings

After a yummy lunch at a local diner - and a stop at Rita's for a gelati - we headed home.

On the way home I made everyone stop at this Homestead. (Well I was driving - so no one had a choice!)

They had this amazing water wheel that actually worked!
Water Mill

Waterwheel

There was a wedding going on - so I didn't stray far from the car - but I did spy a blacksmith working.
Blacksmith


It was a great day!

7 comments:

chacha / Jen said...

SO BUMMED that I had to miss the trip... have to hear all about it tonight!

Shelby said...

Looks like you had a blast!

Briana E. said...

How did I miss this festival?! I live so close. Do they have it every year? Looks like you had fun!

Nittany Knits said...

I can't belive we never saw you. Of course that place is so big, my daughter kept singing "This is the store that never ends..." (Now that song is stuck in my head again)

We were outside most of the day, but I loved sitting in the spinning room on the $160 saddle bottom stools. Comfy!

Mauren Mureaux said...

Bummer that we missed this festival. We're planning to take our knitting group up on July 14th. We can't wait, several of them have never been up there. Heehee!!

Stacey said...

:( that looks like it was such a fun day! it stinks I live all the way up here!

Jinann said...

I'm so jealous! I STILL haven't made it up there - spinning weekend or otherwise!