Monday, December 24, 2007

Scrap Journals and cake!

So last time - it was scrap scarves. Now it's scrap journals.

I just couldn't bear to throw away my leftover fabric scraps. I didn't use them all up with my scarves.

So, while "last minute shopping" at Borders today I saw some Moleskin notebooks. I vaguely remember seeing something about being able to sew on these. I grabbed a three pack, came home and picked through my scrap pile.

I came up with these:

Scrap Journals

Scrap Journals!!

After finding the fabric pieces I wanted to use and arranging them just so, I sewed the pieces on. I was able to sew right through the fabric and the notebook covers with no problems.

Scrap Journals

I'm quite please with how they came out. I even played around a little with running the stitches right off the edges of the notebooks.

I definitely see myself making more of these - they took less than 10 minutes to sew and I think they came out great!

I even sewed bookmarks to the back cover to match.


Some other last minute handmade holiday gifts were these little beauties:

Red Velvet jar cakes! (Well sort of...)

Red Velvet cake

I didn't have any mason jars. I even braved Walmart on a weekend to look for some, but came up empty. Instead I found these small Pyrex containers.

"Red Velvet cake"

Perfect!!

I used this recipe (thanks Super Eggplant for the idea!) for the cake and canned cream cheese frosting (instead of making my own).

Then I wrapped each one in a red kitchen towel, added a bow and a bell, and voila!...

Red Velvet cakes

Instant presents! I handed these out to my neighbors today. I hope they liked them. Of course I had to save one for me, it was delicous!


Merry Christmas!!

I hope Santa is good to you and brings you lots of yarn!

Our Charlie Brown Christmas tree!

13 comments:

Nic said...

You ARE the smartest person I know. Merry Christmas!

Amie said...

Those journals are brilliant and now I want red velvet cake.

For future reference, I've seen mason jars at places like Michaels and AC Moore often...

Merry Christmas!

Zonda said...

Thank you for that awesome idea! I love your journals and the cakes all packaged up are perfect.

Hope you and hubby have a super day!

FYI grocery stores often have them..well until I really need them, with my luck they are sold out!

Bonnie said...

::shakes head in creative awe::

When do you sleep?

Jinann said...

Merry Christmas!

Great journals - you're so talented! I'm in awe!

Where do you find the time?????

Anonymous said...

The journals look wonderful, and I love the idea of the cake in a jar!

chacha / Jen said...

You're putting my craftiness to shame. ;)

Happy holidays!

Stacey said...

what a great idea! you crafty one!!!! the cakes look wonderful - my favorite kind!

bySarah said...

Yum.
Jarcakes look cool.
I bet your neighbors loved them!!

danielle said...

What cute and creative ideas! Hope you had a merry Christmas!

mainely stitching said...

Brilliant ideas! We were groaning over the paper waste after our Christmas - I'm going to try fabric wrapping for some people next year. And those moleskin journals - how cool!

Wendy said...

You get MAJOR props for braving Wal-Mart! I have been inspired for next year!! REmind me to share the "cake-in-a-mug" recipe with you some time ...

Stephanie said...

I love those notebooks! I just found your blog via Craft. We are practically neighbors (I live in DC).