Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Kickin' it Philly style...

"I walked the avenue till my legs felt like stone
I heard the voices of friends vanished and gone
At night I could hear the blood in my veins
Just as black and whispering as the rain
On the streets of Philadelphia"

- Bruce Springsteen - "Streets of Philadelphia"


Yesterday hubby and I took a little drive up to Philly. He was going to pick up some new wheels for his car and wanted company for the drive. Now - although the thought of going on a car errand with him didn't thrill me - I thought about it for a second and then realized - I had never been to a yarn shop in Philly before... maybe we could arrange a trade. I'd accompany him on the trip - if we can stop off at a yarn shop too. A deal was made and off we went!

Hubby had to go all the way up to Plymouth Meeting, PA to pick up the wheels - so I looked for a yarn shop that would be on the way back to town. Thank goodness for Emily (our friendly little GPS unit) because she mapped out a course for us that lead us right to The Knit With in Chesnut Hill.




Chustnut Hill was such a cute area - there were little shops and cafes and the homes were gorgeous! The ivy covered stone mansions lined the streets. The building that housed the Knit With yarn shop was the oldest biulding in Chestnut Hill. I got the full history from James (one of the shop keepers). Here is a pic of James and I




The drive up and around Philly was full of nostalgia and memories for me. I am a PA girl - born and raised about an hour north of Philly, and I spent a lot of time in the Philly area. I also know a ton of people who live in the area. So - almost every exit we passed reminded me of someone. "Oh - I used to date a guy who lived there... or I used to know someone who lived off that exit... or I went out with a guy who worked there..." Yeah. The walk down memory lane was enjoyable for me - but maybe not so much for hubby :) He learned a little more than he needed to about my college dating experiences! Oh well!

It was so cool to see some of the old places I used to go. Hubby never really spent much time in Philly - so I played tour guide for a little and took him to Pat's and Geno's for a traditional Philly cheesesteak. I don't about you guys - but to me - a cheesesteak means steak, cheese, and fried onions - maybe even peppers and nothing else. NO lettuce tomato and mayo like they add here in Maryland. I haven't had a good cheese steak in years!! So I was ready for some cheese steak tasting!

First we headed to Geno's. The neon lit up the dusky sky beckoning us to come in. We ordered up a steak to share.


It was good!


Next up was Pat’s


Wow! I had forgotten how good Cheese Wiz tastes on a steak! (I know what you're thinking... Cheese Wiz? YES Cheese Wiz!)

Pat’s was the winner!


I really wanted another one - but I was full :(

After that we roamed around the south street area a little and then headed back home.

On the drive up - I was knitting (duh) on my first sock of 2007. Hubby got me this gorgeous yarn...


And I am making a Jaywalker out of it. Here's my progress so far...



I love how the colors are zigzagging!



Today - it's back to the grind.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh.. pretty yarn! What brand and colorway is it?

Nittany Knits said...

How funny, we both selected the Jaywalker as our first sock of 2007! Mine is not as far along as yours thanks to my blanket knitting, so I'm excited to see how mine is going to look.

Diane said...

Sounds like you had a nice day filled with family, fibers and food .... my 3 favorite things.

Anonymous said...

It's so mean to tease without telling us what kind of yarn it is. It looks great.

K. said...

Love the yarn, that and those hoagies look yummy!

Nic said...

Do you know what a long and circular convo I had with WHN re yes the cheese wiz they talk about on cheesesteaks is THE cheese wiz? Like I guess he can't believe that such a heart healthy sandwich to begin with would have the wiz. I won't call my husband a dumbass on your blog, but just know that I am thinking it.